EGLANTYNE, a new one woman play exploring the inspiring life of Eglantyne Jebb, a courageous, charming, passionate, humanitarian, human rights activist and founder of Save the Children, launched at Shrewsbury’s Theatre Severn on 11 June and is now touring in the UK – coming soon to Cambridge’s Mumford Theatre on Thu 2 July and to the Georgian Theatre Royal, North Yorkshire, on Fri 10 July.
From her idyllic Shropshire childhood, Eglantyne went on to Oxford University, social work in Cambridge, heartbreaks, suffrage rallies, spiritualism, the Balkans, arrest in Trafalgar Square, saving starving children and pioneering children’s rights. In 1919, responding with humanitarian zeal to the devastating famine in postwar Europe, Eglantyne and her sister Dorothy founded Save the Children. Eglantyne drafted the Declaration of the Rights of the Child which evolved into the current United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
EGLANTYNE comes to the UK following a critically acclaimed tour in New Zealand. “Written with wit and buoyancy, delivered in fine style,” Lindsay Clark, Theatreview, Christchurch. “Studied and heartfelt portrayal … engaging, informative and very entertaining,” Ewen Coleman, The Dominion Post, Wellington. “A rich and fascinating creation and portrayal,” Ngaire Riley, Theatreview, New Plymouth. “A performance of considerable intensity, energy and thought,” Anne Ellis, South Canterbury Drama League News, Timaru
EGLANTYNE is written and performed by Anne Chamberlain, directed by KC Kelly and produced by Ms Chamberlain Presents. The show’s duration is 75 minutes.
For more information – www.eglantynetheshow.com
EGLANTYNE UK show schedule (more dates to be announced soon)
– Thu 2 July 7.30pm, Mumford Theatre, Cambridge, Box Office 0845 1962320 www.anglia.ac.uk/mumfordtheatre
– Fri 10 July 7.30pm, Georgian Theatre Royal, Richmond, North Yorkshire, Box Office 01748 825252 www.georgiantheatreroyal.co.uk
PAST UK SHOWS
– Sun 7 June 4pm, Private Preview at The Lyth, Ellesmere, Shropshire – Eglantyne Jebb’s childhood home
– Thu 11 June 7pm, Theatre Severn, Shrewsbury, Shropshire (UK Premiere) www.theatresevern.co.uk
– Sun 14 June 8pm, Ludlow Assembly Rooms, Ludlow Fringe Festival, Shropshire www.ludlowassemblyrooms.co.uk
– Thu 18 June 7pm, Courtyard Theatre, Hereford www.courtyard.org.uk
A proportion of the show’s proceeds will be donated to Save the Children