The Women’s History Network is offering one £250 prize for an undergraduate dissertation on any aspect of women’s or gender history (though substantially focused on women) written during the 2021-2022 academic year. We welcome research on any period and place: the sky’s the limit! We would however be especially keen to receive entries from students whose research is focused outside the Western world and/or modern period. We particularly welcome entries from students studying at non-Russell Group and post-92 universities.
Prize-winners will be invited to work with us to produce an edited version of their dissertation for the WHN Journal or Blog. Furthermore, winners will receive free membership to the WHN for the following year (applicants must be members to apply).
Criteria for eligibility:
• The nominated work must be written in English and have been submitted to a UK University during the 2021—22 academic year. You do not need to have received your final grade before making your submission.
• The dissertation must be an original piece of research undertaken by the applicant, focused on women’s or gender history.
• The dissertation must be submitted in a PDF format. It must be a double spaced, word processed document which uses a consistent and recognizable system of academic referencing.
• The dissertation must be submitted anonymously, with neither the applicant’s name nor institutional affiliation appearing within the document itself.
• All applications must be accompanied by an entry form.
• All applicants must be members of the WHN. Student/unwaged membership costs £15.
• The dissertation is expected to be between 6,000 and 12,000 words.
•Applications must be submitted by 11:59pm on 30 June 2021.
Please email a copy of your anonymised dissertation and entry form to: firstname.lastname@example.org . We will acknowledge receipt of your entry; if you have not heard from us within seven working days of submitting your application, please send it again. Any questions or queries can be addressed to Dr Anna Muggeridge at the above address.